Monday 4 May 2020

Urban birding at Hull: Avenues dawn chorus

Today is International World Dawn Chorus Day, and I usually celebrate it with a very early morning rise and a short drive to Noddle Hill Nature reserve. I have been doing my daily exercise during lockdown walking in my local area, so I decided to do an urban dawn chorus walk. Blackbirds are singing and House Sparrows chirping in the garden. It is quiet, and already light when I left the house at 5:00am. It is still, cool and with some clouds. I walk the streets in the Avenues. There is no one about. Great Tits, Blue Tits, Robin, Wren, Blackcap, Chaffinch, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Woodpigeon join the chorus.
Dunnock singing.
I make my way to Jack Kaye fields via the path by the railway track.
There is a low patch of mist over the playing field, making it very atmospheric.
I hear a Lesser Whitethroat is singing from a sycamore. It's hard to photograph, so I record it's song.
Chiffchaff is also singing from the railway line, a pair of Linnets are about and a Swallow flies north over the fields.
Linnet.
It is sunrise.
I move through the avenues to Pearson Park. I get there about 6:20. There are a couple of dog walkers about. I
This is a first, a Greylag nest with an egg in the Pearson Park island. 
The female greylag by her nest.
Is it the time of the day or the effects of the lockdown? Another first: a pair of Greylags walking along Princes Avenue.
I'm back home by 7:20, time to go for a quiet grocery shopping!

Bird List
  1. Blackbird
  2. Blackcap
  3. Blue Tit
  4. Carrion Crow
  5. Chaffinch
  6. Chiffchaff
  7. Collared Dove
  8. Dunnock
  9. Feral Pigeon
  10. Goldcrest
  11. Goldfinch
  12. Great Tit
  13. Greylag Goose
  14. Herring Gull
  15. House Sparrow
  16. Lesser Black-backed Gull
  17. Lesser Whitethroat
  18. Linnet
  19. Long-tailed Tit
  20. Magpie
  21. Mallard
  22. Mistle Thrush
  23. Moorhen
  24. Robin
  25. Song Thrush
  26. Starling 
  27. Stock Dove
  28. Swallow
  29. Woodpigeon
  30. Wren

No comments: