Wednesday 29 April 2020

Urban birding at Hull: Sculcoates and Beverley and Barmston Drain

My morning walk took me to the closest stretch of Beverley and Barmston Drain near me, by Sculcoates lane. This has a public access path on the side, and plenty of marginal green area, due to the occurrence of a former cargo train line by the drain, which had to cross another railway line, the Hornsea line via a bridge. The elevation of the bridge is now covered in thick bramble, hawthorn and sycamore scrub, with some areas of brownfield and patches of Japanese Knotweed. Most people wouldn't find it very appealing, but Whitethroats like post-industrial scrubby brownfield places, and three males were singing, well spaced, staking out their territories. The light was soft and lovely to photograph them.
Whitethroat singing on the dry stems of Japanese knotweed.
Three pairs of Coots were on nests.
A Greylag pair appeared to be prospecting for nest sites along the drain.
As I watched them, I heard a Reed Warbler singing. There were some thin reed beds on the sides of the drain, green shoots just coming through, but the reed warbler kept mostly to the brambles behind. I only managed a record shot.
By Fountain road bridge, a pair of Swallows were in residence.
Blackcaps were singing very excitedly and this is often caused by the presence of females in territories. At least five males were singing. Just one singing Chiffchaff.
A very spotty, and very tame Dunnock, I presume a female?
Song thrush.
 As I was turning back, I heard a distant familiar song: Lesser Whitethroat! I spotted it high on a sycamore, and even got some record shots. This put a nice end of my daily walk, as I don't have a good site where I can find Lesser Whitethroats near home.
Lesser Whitethroat.
Lesser Whitethroat and Whitethroat habitat.

Bird List
  1. Blackbird
  2. Blackcap
  3. Blue Tit
  4. Carrion Crow
  5. Chaffinch
  6. Chiffchaff
  7. Collared Dove
  8. Coot
  9. Dunnock
  10. Feral Pigeon
  11. Goldfinch
  12. Great Spotted Woodpecker
  13. Great Tit
  14. Greenfinch
  15. Greylag Goose
  16. Herring Gull
  17. House Sparrow
  18. Lesser Black-backed Gull
  19. Lesser Whitethroat
  20. Long-tailed Tit 
  21. Magpie
  22. Mallard
  23. Mistle Thrush
  24. Moorhen
  25. Reed Warbler
  26. Robin
  27. Song Thrush
  28. Starling
  29. Stock Dove
  30. Swallow
  31. Whitethroat
  32. Woodpigeon
  33. Wren

No comments: