Saturday 9 May 2020

Urban birding at Hull: City Centre and Albert Dock


A warm day with barely any wind and clear skies. I take an early morning walk to Albert Dock, via the City Centre, Queen's Gardens and the Hull Marina. At Queen's Gardens ponds I'm surprised there are still two ducklings left, now well grown, that have survived Herring Gull predation. I hear a soft call and find a fledgling Mistle Thrush. A passer by flushes it inadvertently, and it is still unable to fly well. It is surprisingly speckled.

 There is also a Blackbird fledgling in the same area.
 Two Feral Pigeons are doing some courtship feeding. They mate and then they stand next to each other, their plumage all fluffed up, like posing.
 A male Pied Wagtail looks for insects on the lawns.
 After a walk around Queen's Gardens, I move onto Princes Quay. While searching for wagtails I notice a fishing Cormorant and manage a shot in the few seconds that it surfaces between dives.
 I walk around the city centre, to the Minster, Princes Street and then move to the Marina and towards the right of way entrance to Albert Dock. There are lots of insects in the air, and there is a spectacle of starlings hawking for them. An abundant resource pushes them into an unusual way of feeding. Judging by the insects landing on me there seems to be a mixture of them including flies and beetles, maybe brought in by the warm air.
 As I cross the lock, I notice the busy House Martins hunting, and then, from the elevated bridge, I watch them collecting mud from the only puddle in sight.

 A Shelduck flies along the Humber, and then two Black-headed Gulls, taking the list of urban birds since lockdown to 60 species.
 My heard skipped a beat when this robin landed on a truck as I had been searching for Black Redstarts, but no luck.
Two House Martin nests under the eaves of the buildings by the entrance to the dock.
Linnets are more common around town than I expected. This male was singing from a traffic sign in a car park in front of the Bonus Arena.
 On the way back, the first House Sparrow fledgling, begging to its parent.


Bird list
  1. Black-headed Gull
  2. Blackbird
  3. Blackcap 
  4. Blue Tit 
  5. Buzzard 
  6. Carrion Crow
  7. Chaffinch 
  8. Collared Dove 
  9. Cormorant 
  10. Dunnock 
  11. Feral Pigeon
  12. Goldfinch 
  13. Great Spotted Woodpecker 
  14. Greenfinch 
  15. Greylag Goose 
  16. Herring Gull 
  17. House Martin 
  18. House Sparrow 
  19. Lesser Black-backed Gull
  20. Linnet 
  21. Magpie 
  22. Mallard 
  23. Mistle Thrush 
  24. Moorhen
  25. Pied Wagtail 
  26. Robin 
  27. Shelduck 
  28. Sparrowhawk 
  29. Starling 
  30. Stock Dove 
  31. Whitethroat 
  32. Woodpigeon 
  33. Wren

2 comments:

John W said...

Hi. I'm Caroline White's dad and enjoy nature and bird watching (not twitching!!). I follow your posts from Oxford where we live and am always amazed by the quantity and variety of the species you see. Keep it up. I always appreciate seeing the large numbers of swifts screaming around the rooftops of Beverley. Regards John White

Africa Gomez said...

Thank you so much for your comment John, I'm pleased you enjoy my blog and much appreciated! Really looking forward to swift screaming parties, the sound of summer, take care, Africa