Tuesday 19 May 2020

Urban birding at Hull: a walk to East Park

When I first came to Hull, I used to cycle to East Park regularly, but lately I have driven to it. Today, for the first time I walked to East Park. It took an hour to get there, another back, but it was quite an enjoyable walk. The car parks in the park were closed, and all facilities, but it was a warm, cloudy, still day, and there were plenty of users, the wide paths made it easy to keep social distancing. I wanted to have a look for dragonflies to the area by the walk-way, but it was closed, so I had to look from the edge of the lake, and none were seen.
Four terrapins were basking in the central island.

On the grassy areas, several families of Greylags and Canada geese were in evidence. They are still too young to form creches, so the different families were keeping their distance from each other.
Greylag geese family
Canada Geese family.
 A pair of Mute Swans were resting by the shore, not looking like they were trying to breed.
 Several coots were on nests, and a pair had a single chick.
 Near the bridge, I found a young Grey Wagtail, the second year I find fledglings at the park.

Not far away was one of the parents, with a beakfull of insects, calling.
Two Great Crested Grebes were also by the central island.
 I stopped for a snack, almonds. On hearing the crunch of the plastic bag, no less than nine Grey Squirrels came by. They were very happy to share.
 I had never seen a Great Spotted Woodpecker drinking. It was joined by a Mistle thrush. A bit later, on the same spot, a Sparrowhawk tried to drink, but two Mistle Trushes harassed it mercilessly, chasing it away.
 A murder of crows gathered by the boating lake. They were hoping for scraps by a family feeding the geese.
 On the walk back, a peregrine soared over my head putting a nice end to the day's walk.
Bird list

No comments: