Monday 4 May 2020

Urban birding at Hull: Oak Road Lake and the River Hull

A morning walk to Oak Road Lake via the Beverley and Barmston drain.
Beverley and Barmston drain.
I walk round the lake, the cob mute swan is busking on the male canada goose. The canada goose is forced to step out of the water, it hisses to me when I walk past, obviously still riled by the swan attack. 
The Canada female is momentarily standing over the nest on the raft, but no eggs are visible. The female swan is sitting on her nest eggs amongst the reeds, but then she stands up, looks down and does the egg rolling movement, before sitting again. 
No Willow Warblers singing today, but there is one singing Reed Warbler. After a circuit around the lake, I move to the river bank. A group of Swallows and House Martins are flying over the river. A male Kestrel flies over. I hear a singing Reed Bunting and find him on the other bank amongst the reeds. 

Spot the female Reed Bunting on the river bank.
A Sedge Warbler sings from the hedge in a display flight, but no photos. Then I hear a high-pitched song I don't recognise coming from the bottom of the bank. I hear it again a few times and then a Grey Wagtail flies to the other bank. It is a summer plumage male! In the last year I saw a pair of Grey Wagtails in Zebedee Yard in town and also a young fledged one at East Park. I'm used to Grey Wagtails as upland birds in summer, although I come across them in the city during migration and during the winter. But they now breed in parks in London. I wonder if they are becoming urban birds? 
Male Grey Wagtail by the river Hull
A few habitat shots follow.







Bird list
  1. Blackbird 
  2. Blackcap 
  3. Blue Tit 
  4. Canada Goose 
  5. Carrion Crow 
  6. Chaffinch 
  7. Chiffchaff 
  8. Collared Dove 
  9. Coot 
  10. Dunnock 
  11. Feral Pigeon
  12. Goldfinch 
  13. Great Tit 
  14. Greenfinch
  15. Grey Wagtail 
  16. Greylag Goose 
  17. Herring Gull 
  18. House Martin 
  19. House Sparrow
  20. Kestrel 
  21. Lesser Black-backed Gull 
  22. Lesser Whitethroat 
  23. Long-tailed Tit 
  24. Magpie
  25. Mallard 
  26. Mistle Thrush
  27. Moorhen 
  28. Mute Swan
  29. Reed Bunting
  30. Reed Warbler 
  31. Robin
  32. Sedge Warbler 
  33. Song Thrush 
  34. Starling
  35. Stock Dove 
  36. Swallow
  37. Whitethroat
  38. Woodpigeon
  39. Wren

No comments: