Sunday 19 April 2020

Urban birding at Hull: city centre

Since the lockdown started, I have been birding only within walking distance from home at west Hull. The lack of traffic makes it so much easier to listen to bird song, and the reduced disturbance appears to have been noticed by birds, which appear bolder, some of them, no doubt, must have noticed the reduction in littering and people providing food. Today, for my daily exercise, I took a brisk walk to Hull city centre before lunch, a total of 9 km. It was eerie, there wasn't much people about, and it was relatively easy to move to the other side of the street if anyone was coming to keep my distance. I explored the little parks and green spaces along the way. In the Amazing Play Community Garden I saw my first Holly Blue butterfly of the year, there was also a Small Tortoiseshell and a Speckled Wood. I could hear a Blackcap  and a Chaffinch singing.
There is also a playing field in Peel street and a small playground and garden at Freehold Street. I cross Spring Bank and walk alongside the Land Registry, surrounded by gardens. A brownfield plot with two large trees in the middle offers another green space.
A pair of Lesser black-backed gulls at their advantage point.
 In the city centre, the more obvious birds this time of year are the large gulls, Herring Gull and Lesser Black-back Gull breed on the roofs around the city, the smaller Black-headed and Common Gulls have departed for their breeding grounds. Of course Feral Pigeons abound. At Jameson street, a Goldfinch flies between the small trees. I hear the cawing of Carrion Crows.
Pied Wagtail at Queens Gardens.
I move to Queen Gardens. On a sunny, mild day like today it should be packed, but is not, there is just a handful of people. Around the fountain, two Pied Wagtails feeding. In the ponds, a Mallard duck guards her six ducklings, my first this year, from the ever vigilant gulls. A male Brimstone butterfly flies past.
As I walk on the central avenue of large trees, I hear a Greenfinch singing from the tree tops. Two Mistle Thrushes feed on the grass. The surprise are 4 Greylags, the two pairs bickering, by the ponds. I had never seen greylags at Queens Gardens before. After having a Moorhen in the pond by Hull College, I turn round and walk by Princes Quay, until the A63, before I turn round home.

The large trees at Queen's gardens are home to Mistle Thrushes and Greenfinches.

Greylags at Queen's Gardens
Mistle Thrush with food.
Mallard duck and duckling.
As I get back home, the alarm calls of a herring gull make me rush outside, a Buzzard flies over, relentlessly harassed by the gull until it moves on away from the gulls territory.
Herring Gull calling after Buzzard.
This Starling appeared nervous, looking up, after the Buzzard had passed.
Altogether, a great day out urban birding at Hull.

Bird list (two complete lists at Birdtrack, 24 sp)
  1. Blackbird
  2. Blackcap
  3. Blue Tit
  4. Buzzard
  5. Carrion Crow
  6. Chaffinch
  7. Collared Dove
  8. Dunnock 
  9. Feral Pigeon
  10. Goldfinch
  11. Great Tit
  12. Greenfinch
  13. Greylag Goose
  14. Herring Gull
  15. House Sparrow
  16. Lesser Black-backed Gull
  17. Magpie
  18. Mallard
  19. Mistle Thrush
  20. Moorhen
  21. Pied/White Wagtail
  22. Robin
  23. Starling
  24. Woodpigeon

No comments: