Monday 27 April 2020

Urban birding at Hull: Clough Road and Oak Road Lake

In today's lockdown morning walk, I ventured to Oak Road lake via Pearson Park, Beverley Road and Clough Road. In ended up not spending much time at the lake proper, as I was distracted by plenty of birds along the way. I found a walkable stretch of the Beverley and Barmston drain by Clough Rd.
Just at the end of the stretch I heard a Whitethroat, my first of the year. I took it's photo through the fence (top shot). The following photo I found quite funny, as it shows how long is the whitethroat's white 'beard' and how it sticks out when singing.
At Oak Road proper, lots of Blackcap action, a singing chiffchaff and this wheezing Greenfinch. 
The planted woodland by the lake is growing fast and looks like a thicket, from the willow in the middle of it sung a Willow Warbler, the second year tick today.
I walked half way around the lake. The new resident pair of Mute Swans came to say hello. They were only a lockdown tick.

I don't think I've ever had Canada Geese at Oak Road lake. There was a pair and the female appeared to be sitting at her nest in the new raft. Another lockdown tick.
As I walked around the lake, I heard singing Reed Warbler, another year tick. Photographing a reed warbler is a sport on itself, which I only practiced for a few minutes. The reeds are still very sparse, but much more time and patience is needed than I had available, so it'll have to be another time. Altogether a very productive walk to one of my favourite Hull haunts.

Bird list

  1. Blackbird 
  2. Blackcap 
  3. Blue Tit 
  4. Bullfinch 
  5. Canada Goose 
  6. Carrion Crow
  7. Chaffinch 
  8. Chiffchaff 
  9. Collared Dove 
  10. Coot 
  11. Dunnock
  12. Feral Pigeon
  13. Goldfinch 
  14. Great Tit 
  15. Greenfinch 
  16. Greylag Goose 
  17. Herring Gull 
  18. House Sparrow 
  19. Lesser Black-backed Gull 
  20. Long-tailed Tit 
  21. Magpie 
  22. Mallard 
  23. Mistle Thrush 
  24. Moorhen
  25. Mute Swan 
  26. Reed Bunting 
  27. Reed Warbler
  28. Robin
  29. Song Thrush
  30. Starling 
  31. Stock Dove 
  32. Whitethroat 
  33. Willow Warbler
  34. Woodpigeon
  35. Wren

No comments: