Monday 14 February 2022

Oak Road and the River Hull

 The rain forecast made me change my plans for today. There was an early morning window of opportunity and I decided to go to Oak Road Lake. As I got to the playing fields, I noticed something on the path, a dark earthworm? No, it was a leech! It was about 8 cm long and looked dry and not too active. I picked it up and briefly submerged it on a nearby puddle and put it on the grass nearby. It first curled into a spiral, then it perked up and started moving around. It was dark greenish with a brown saddle. It is likely to be a Horse Leech, Haemopis sanguisuga.

Leech.

There were nine Coots at the lake and four Tufted Ducks. The Mute Swan pair still had their grown cygnets with them. A Cormorant was resting on the raft.

These Moorhens had their tail spread out, and the one in front kept turning its head towards the other...
...when they got to the reeds, they started fighting.
Cormorant.
The rain seemed to be materialising into just drizzle, so I decided to walk back by the river. The tide was quite low and the river was flowing strong, its waters very transparent. I hadn't been walking long when I flushed a pair of Teal. later, I found them on the bank, although I only saw the female when I checked the photo (top shot). Redshank called and moved upstream at regular intervals, with 11 counted at the Clough Rd and Stoneferry km stretches.

The public footpath is quite muddy and slippery. I slip once, accidentally grabbing some bramble stems and pricking me, but at least I managed not to fall over. This is really a walk for a frosty or dry weather.

Tree Mallow, Lavatera maritima. I've seen this plant along the waterfront of Victoria Dock, on a pile of rubble at Sculcoates and now this, on the bank just opposite B&Q. Its small seeds can travel with the tide and the plant is resistant to salt water.

I noticed a group of crows in the distance, around the Reckitt chimney, they were taking advantage of the up-draughts around it and kept letting themselves fly up by the wind, and then tumbling down, while going around the chimney. When I got to Wilmington Bridge they were still at it, and I took some videos.

Carrion Crows tumbling down.
While scanning tall buildings for Peregrines, I found a  Kestrel instead, which had found a good spot to stay away from the rain.
Male Kestrel on its shelter.

No comments: