Tuesday 22 February 2022

A walk to Oppy Wood and Orchard Park

 
After the three named storms in quick succession within the period of a week, the weather had becalmed somewhat today and it dawn sunny and not too cold. I took a walk to the NW corner of Hull at Orchard Park via Bricknell Avenue and Hall Road.

Starling bath time at Greenwood Avenue.
Nothing says spring is coming like an enthusiastic Starling singing.

I soon enough got to Oppy Wood, two Song Thrushes singing on the way there. I climbed the slippery, muddy ramp by Oppy Wood and watched four Roe Deer feeding, seemingly unaware of me, they wouldn't even glance in my direction. The two bucks' antlers were in velvet (top shot).




Roe Deer buck crossing the path.
I didn't enter the wood itself as I wanted to explore the area north of it. A multi-use flood defence scheme has been created, including a fishing lake in two levels and paths allowing for recreation. The mature trees in the area have been kept and the marginal vegetation appears to be establishing. A Great Spotted Woodpecker drummed, my first one drumming this season. 

The 'aquagreen' by Orchard Park.
Greenfinch. Some of the willow catkins are opening.
Kestrel.
The Kestrel territory. I often see a pair of Kestrels from Reich Carter Way in my walks up the river Hull, nice to see them up close.
Great Spotted Woodpecker.
A rainbow appeared in the horizon, and a shower materialised shortly after. The walk home was much faster than the way there!

No comments: