Saturday 14 August 2021

Urban birding at Hull: Sculcoates week 32 second visit

A cloudy, mild day with a light wind. I head for the southern part of the patch, the drain by Bridlington Avenue. Seven Swallows glide by the bridge at Fountain Road, House Martins further north over the trees, a flock of about 20 Goldfinches and a passing Common Gull. Goldfinch families gather in larger flocks in search of large patches of seed-bearing plants to feed on. I flush some from Creeping Thistles growing by the footpath at the drain. Their fluffy seeds float in the air and gather in a downy carpet on the ground. 

Goldfinch on Creeping thistle seedheads.


The Rowans are looking laden with berries. A woodpigeon was feeding on them in my garden today.
The reeds on the southern part of the drain have grown tall and are now flowering. I head a 'ket!' and the reeds move in two places. A Reed Warbler makes an appearance at some point.
Beverley and Barmston drain.
Reed Warbler.
I return to the river by Wilcolmlee. Seven Black-headed gulls roost on a roof. 
Black-headed Gulls.

The tide is high and flowing. A creche of juvenile gulls, Herring and Lesser black backed gulls are in the water. Two fly, playing in the wind, taking advantage of the updraft by the Sculcoates school for a quick lift. One of the juveniles sitting on the flood wall looks up and I do too: two Sparrowhawks, circling above, maybe juveniles?

Sparrowhawks.
I hear the whistling of a gull chick and it takes me a couple of attempts to find the young.
Lesser Black-backed gull with chick.
Wilmington bridge opens and a large barge goes down river.

I return by the cycle track. Two families of Lesser Black-backed gulls are on the playing field, but as soon as I try to get a photo, the adults take off and start alarm calling.

Juvenile Lesser Black-backed gull on the playing fields.
Greenfinch.
Greenfinch feeding on blackberries.

No comments: