Friday 6 August 2021

Urban birding at Hull: Sculcoates, week 31, second visit

 A cloudy day, there were forecasts of rain later in the morning, so I took an early walk to the patch. Swifts and House Martins flying above. It is two hours away from low tide when I get to the river. I'm excited to see two Redshank, already back from their breeding grounds! They've just been away for 15 weeks. The Redshank by Wilmington bridge is feeding on the mud and gets a worm, immediately running to the water to rinse the mud of it before eating it.


Redshank with worm.
A Moorhen is also feeding by Wilmington bridge
The feral pigeons of Wilmington Bridge have a new batch of young.
I move to the Sculcoates cemeteries. At the south cemetery, there are two vocal Great Tits. One poses for a photo.
There are at least two Blackcap, but they don't like posing, so I content myself with this shot of one behind branches.
David L. has started scything the meadows at the North Cemetery and piling the hay on a corner. He said he will do half an hour at a time and it will take him until November to have it all cut.
There are three Migrant Hawkers actively foraging despite the cloudy weather. A few butterflies are active too: Green-veined white, Gatekeeper and Speckled Wood.
As I walk back by Temple street, two Common Gulls, also freshly returned, drink from a puddle.


No comments: