Monday 9 August 2021

A morning walk around Noddle Hill LNR

 It has been a while since I visited Noddle Hill, and I was keen to do a dragonfly survey on peak season. Today it was a sunny, warm morning, with a light wind, perfect for it. I got to the reserve at 8:20. A Brown Hawker was already hunting by the lake, near the last remaining family of Greylag, with 3 young, probably still not able to fly.

I walk to the ride by the East side of the lake favoured by dragonflies, it was a magnet for them: Brown Hawkers, 2 Southern Hawkers and 3 Migrant Hawkers, which basked near each other. Ruddy Darters and even a Common Blue damselfly were also basking and feeding on the brambles.

Ruddy Darter.
Speckled Wood by alder cones.
Male Southern Hawker.
Footman moth to ID.
Migrant Hawker.

I next moved onto the ditch with bullrushes (above) where I usually find Emeralds. Indeed, they were present but quite mobile. Probably 3 males just on the accessible corner by the path.

Emerald.
Emerald.

Brown Hawkers and Ruddy darters were scattered all across the reserve, with the occasional Migrant and Southern hawkers. 

Female Southern Hawker.
Another male Emerald.
Male Ruddy Darter.
Female Ruddy Darter.
The surprise of the day was this stunning male Banded Demoiselle by the Kingfisher pond. It basked and hunted looking quite settled.
Finally, before I left I took a walk around the lake which revealed 2 male Black-tailed Skimmers on territory on the fishing platforms.
and a mating pair of Blue-tailed damselflies.
The only breeding evidence other than territorial males was this pair of mating Blue-tailed damselflies.

Birds were quiet and there was not much of note other than the usual, but I made a butterfly list. I recorded 10 species including 28 Gatekeepers and 8 Green-Veined whites. Two Peacocks and 2 Red Admirals were also about. The last species was a male Brimstone which fed on teasels for a while, allowing me to photograph it.

A single Meadow Brown was seen.
Red Admiral.
Peacock.
Brimstone.

No comments: