Sunday 5 February 2023

Sunday morning at Jack Kaye field

 On Friday I took a short detour on my way to work around the Jack Kaye field. I was very surprised to flush two Jays from the path at the western end, which I lost from view. Jays are extremely rare at Hull and the surrounding area, given its low woodland cover. There are a number of oaks at Jack Kaye and the avenues area which are now maturing and probably provide enough food for Jays, still it was the first time I spot them on the site. it was a sunny, still, and frosty morning. Three Song Thrushes and many Dunnocks  were singing . As I climbed onto the footpath parallel to the railway track, a Jay flew onto a tree near me. I managed a few photos this time (top shot). 

A view of the area where the Jays were on Friday (background).

Song Thush singing.

I meandered around the avenues on my way back. Two Mistle Thrushes were feeding on Ivy berries.


Robin feeding on seeds.

2 comments:

Ralph Hancock said...

Odd that Kensington Gardens, not a promising-looking place, should have at least a dozen Jays. Of course I see most of them because they expect me to give them peanuts.

Africa Gomez said...

It is probably due to the very low woodland cover in East Yorkshire, woodland patches are few and far between. I know Jays do migrate from the continent, I've seen a flock migrating at Spurn Head, and we had an irruption last year when the acorn mast crop failed, but they like to stay on their patch, and they are extremely local around the area. They are also very shy aroun here, I think I have more chances to train Magpies and Crows, than Jays!