Tuesday 21 February 2023

Noddle Hill, Midmeredales and Foredyke Green in February

A mild morning with long sunny spells, after yesterday's long walk I decided to get the bus to Kingswood and walk along Midmeredales to Noddle Hill LNR. It was very dry, normally this area is quite waterlogged in the winter, but I was fine on trainers. I was surprised the temporary pond at Midmeredales held water.

Temporary pond at Midmeredales.
Bee Orchid.
The Foredyke Stream.

Rabbit.

The Foredyke Green pond had low water levels and a lot of litter.
Soon after arriving at Noddle Hill, a 48 strong flock of Lapwing flew over.
This is the sorry state of the Foredyke Stream by Noddle Hill, barely any water.
Reed Bunting.
There were several Brown Hares on the tilled fields and the young crops just N of the reserve. A Skylark sung above. 
A very large flock of Pink-footed geese flew N.
A small flock of Yellowhammers and a lone Tree Sparrow were hanging about by the pumping station.

My Tree Sparrow record shot.
The Yellowhammer was more cooperative.
Singing Skylark.
The first Colt's Foot of the year.
Kestrel.
This Blue Tit spent a long time feeding on Bullrush seedheads.
I sat on one of the benches by the feeders, a diverse assortment of garden birds were feeding, including Robin, Dunnock. Great Tit, Robin and Long-tailed Tits. At some point a male Sparrowhawk attacked, missing its prey, but it landed nearby and I could take some photos in between branches.



Male Sparrowhawk.

It was a great day for raptors. A Buzzard flew low over the reserve (top shot). Later, I heard the mewing of Buzzards and there were four soaring, at some point joined by a Sparrowhawk. At some point two came together and locked talons in a heart-stopping display, of which I only got a blurry shot.

Buzzard and Sparrowhawk.
Tumbling Buzzards.

 I can't believe I'm at 80 species at Hull for my low carbon birding year, with Tree Sparrow, Lapwing and Yellowhammer added today.

2 comments:

Ralph Hancock said...

Smashing main picture of the Buzzard.

Africa Gomez said...

Thank you Ralph, it flew so close to me, I was pretty happy with the photo too