Sunday 22 January 2023

A Pickering Park Pintail at the WeBS survey

A frosty walk to Pickering Park for the Wetland Bird Survey. It hasn't rained or snow recently, but everything looked like it had a dusting of snow. At Priory Cycle lane, a roving flock of Siskins, more than 20, were feeding on the alders. At some point the flock came down to the brambles and bushes, where they looked like they were picking at the ice crystals, possibly to get some water. The flock was still in the same area when I walked back.


Male Siskin with ice crystals around its bill.



A frosty looking blackbird.

A Pink-footed Geese skein flying over Boothferry Road.
Frosty playing fields.
Even on the ice the Coots displayed aggressively to each other.
I was relieved to see the Mute Swan pair in good health.
As I was counting the Mallard, I noticed this female Pintail, the first one I see in Hull. She was not shy at all and even walked on the ice to approach people feeding bread to the ducks.
It is the closest I've been to a pintail.
Pintail on the ice.
Female Pintail.
Another new bird for the site was this Little Grebe. I'm aware I've missed it in previous surveys.
Blue tits, a species I don't photograph enough.

3 comments:

Ralph Hancock said...

I was recently sent a picture of a Goldfinch eating frost crystals off a fence, although there was water nearby. I think they actually enjoy crunchy ice.

Pretty shot of the leucistic Blackbird.

Africa Gomez said...

I'm glad you've noticed a similar behaviour. It was quite noticeable in this case as the whole flock came from the tree where they were feeding. I think birds are quite opportunistic drinkers, I've seen Goldfinches drinking from dropplets in leaves after rain, but for northern finches in cold weather, ice must be the only option to drink.

Ralph Hancock said...

Today I saw a Mute Swan eating frost off the stone kerb of a pool in the Italian Garden. Yes, this really does seem to be a thing with various birds.