Saturday 2 April 2022

Early April at Sculcoates

A frosty start for a sunny spring day, I headed to Sculcoates via Pearson Park. The Greylags seem to have given up on their nesting, although they were clumsily mating yesterday. My first April visit to the Sculcoates patch. Sparrows and Chaffinches mating. 

Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Male Chiffchaffs (9) and Blackcaps (4) are now on territories all around, and the Blackcap near the entrance of the N Cemetery is more cooperative than last week (top shot). As I walk along the cemetery, I head a Tawny Owl call from a wooded area with plenty of ivy. It's been a long time since I heard an owl in Hull, a patch tick too and a year addition to my localbigyear

Chiffchaff.
A group of Lesser Black-backed gulls flies calling and more join until there are 11 circling and calling near the paint factory.
10-spot ladybird, Adalia decempunctata on the bursting buds of an ash.

The Stock Doves are taking advantage of the lost roof tiles in the old Sculcoates school, I presume breeding there. I've often seen squabbles between them on the building, but didn't realised the state of the roof.
4 Redshank about 2 hours after high tide.
Cormorant on its usual perch on the mast of the barge.

Singing Starling doing its firework-like whistle.

No comments: