Monday 11 April 2022

A walk along the River Hull in April

 

A cool dry day with hazy sun and increasing wind. I take a long walk along the river Hull. I make a stop by the drain on the way and find a Water Vole straight away. I think it's the same individual I saw a week ago, with a scar on the right side of its nose.

A perfectly spherical water vole feeding on roots.

On the playing fields there is a congregation of 60 Carrion Crows. All quiet and not doing much. I find these crow meetings quite intriguing!

Just two Small Tortoiseshells this morning. Quite a difference with my walk in March!

Rabbits.

A Kestrel hovering over the river bank.

Kestrel.
Stopping for a rest.
The first Greylag goslings of the year. They went out of view (probably to be brooded) so I only got this record shot.
Two adult Mute Swans on the reservorir and this young one on the river
The lavender crow was foraging on the river bank near Beresford Playing Fields.
I couldn't believe when 3 hirundines flew over and all were House Martins. Usually it is the last species I see in the spring. A total of 45 species for the walk.

It was a good day for raptors too, with the 4 resident species seen: Kestrel, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk and Peregrine

Sparrowhawk.
Peregrine calling with pigeon prey.

No comments: