Sunday 10 April 2022

A walk in the General Cemetery

A Sunday morning short walk today around the General Cemetery. Just as I arrive I spot a Jay, causing some commotion among the small birds. It poses nicely on a branch for me. Later I see two near Chanterlands avenue, their long crest blowing in the breeze.


Jay, the breeze from its back kept blowing its crest.
Jays.
The Cemetery is a great site for woodland birds. I found a single singing Blackcap and a Chiffchaff along the railway line. A Woodpecker was drumming and chipping. Two Goldcrests were around a yew.



Sparrow calling from a roof on Perth St.
Another cemetery special, Stock Doves take advantage of large trees with holes.
On my way back I spot a Sparrowhawk. It is moving deliberately along a tree top, and eventually it picked a branch and flew to an Ivy-covered tree. I found the male in a branch nearby, he was watching the female intently, showing the fake eyespots at the back of its head. I have kept the last photo even if it is not focused to show the white spots on his back, showing its a young male.

Female Sparrowhawk.
Female Sparrowhawk. Note the fluffled out white feathers under its tail.
Female Sparrowhawk with stick.
Male Sparrowhawk, note false eyespots. A particularly dark individual.


The spotted back of the sparrowhawk indicates a young male.

No comments: