Tuesday 9 November 2021

Urban River Hull: Oak Road to Reich Carter Way in autumn

A walk from home to Reich Carter Way, via Pearson Park, Beverley Road, Beverley and Barmston Drain at Beresford Avenue, Oak Road Lane and then the River Bank. Sunny, and mild, with a breeze, becoming a bit blustery at midday. 
The stop at Beverley and Barmston Drain at Beresford Avenue reveals a pair of Little Grebes, trilling in the distance. A Sparrowhawk flies over, chased by calling gulls. It suddenly stoops after a small bird that flies down into the gardens. It's a Chaffinch, that makes a escape. 
Little Grebes and Moorhens on the drain.
At Oak Road Lake, the highlight, a Cetti's Warbler singing from the reeds around the fishing platforms. The Mute Swan family has 2 young, which come to greet me, but are disappointed that I don'g have food. The adults start courting, which seems odd, maybe the warm temperatures have prompted this.

I move onto the river bank. The tide is running very high. There are small groups of Mallard feeding on the flooded banks.

Mallard on the river Hull.
As I pass by the playing fields, I notice that the clump of mistletoe has become more obvious now that the Black Poplars are losing their leaves.

 
The bend of the river by Sutton Bridge.
I climb the steps at the bridge to take this photo.
Another Sparrowhawk, a male soaring over the river by Ennerdale.

I walk around the two ponds at Ennerdale bike training circuit. They are full, and the south one has a nice fringe of marginal vegetation. A dragonfly, probably a Common Darter, rises from the ground to check a falling leaf, but I lose it The area has been mowed, but leaving a large patch of rough grassland or scrub. A Roe Deer bounds, startled and hides on the high grass. A Green Woodpecker calls twice. A Kestrel watches from one of the street lamps.

Kestrel. One of at least 2 around the same area.
And to top the raptor count, a Buzzard, this one chased by Carrion Crows.

I quickly make it onto Roebank Reservoir. Immediately, amongst the hundreds of gulls, I notice a Great Black-backed Gull, a 4th year. This photo shows how it dwarfs a Herring Gull.

Other than the Herring, Black-headed and Common Gulls, bathing and resting on the water, there is another loafing group on the roof of the pumping station. A nice assortment of wildfowl, including Shoveler (14), Tufted Ducks (11), Teal (2), Mallard (2), Gadwall (35), Mute Swan (4) and Greylags (4). Also present 70 Coots, a Cormorant and a Grey Wagtail.

Grey Wagtail.
Cormorant.
Gadwall.

A view of the Roebank Reservoir.
It's tricky to take photos of birds in the reservoir as it is surrounded by a fence with narrow openings. My back also hurts after a while, as there is no way of leaning on a support. I carry on. I reach the Reich Carter Way twin bridges and move to the west bank for the return walk. I scan the fields. A Buzzard is being mobbed by a Herring Gull. Two Kestrels are flying.



The walk back is uneventful. Add Long-tailed Tit to the bird list, which totals 40. 
Buff-tailed Bumblebee queen on Ivy. This ivy was buzzing with various flies and wasps.
I enjoy a picnic on a bench overlooking the playing fields. I search for the white crow, but I can't find it. This one struts about with head fluffed up.

No comments: