Saturday 13 November 2021

Urban birding at Hull: Sculcoates week 45


A gloomy, but mild afternoon, I make a quick visit to the patch at high tide. I walk straight to the river via the cycle lane. Seven Redshank are roosting on their usual spot, then I realise there is another group of 6 further ahead. 13 equals the top Redshank count this year on week 13. While I'm at the bridge, Fieldfares call from a sycamore and then fly over westwards as I approach, seven of them, a lovely patch tick!

A Sparrowhawk has flushed the Feral Pigeon flock, which circles around the British Extracting Co. building. The Redshank wake up and stretch, alerted, but still standing on one leg. 

Alert Redshank.
Sculcoates bridge over the Beverley and Barmston Drain.
The gull's spot. Some roost on the wall, but they appear to like to gather there to bathe and loaf.

No comments: