Sunday 7 November 2021

Kilnsea and Spurn Triangle in November

 

What a difference a day makes. Contrasting to yesterday grey gales, today was cold, but sunny and still. I drove to Spurn and parked by the visitor centre. A flock of Starlings fed on the car park. After a short stint in Canal Scrape hide, where I failed to see a Water Rail but caught up with Bethan, I started my walk about the triangle. The tide was out, but coming in fast.
Cormorants.
A group of Shelduck on the mudflats.
One of the several Little Grebes on the Borrow Pit.
A Robin just by the Sandy Beaches.
One of two Stonechats by Beacon Lane.
I had lunch at the KIlnsea Wetlands hide. I had it to myself all the time I was there, which was great. The family of Whoopers and the large number of Brents were highlights. I walked to the high on the road at Long Bank to check the fields, and there is where I counted the 60 Whoopers with just the one Mute Swan.
Black-tailed Godwit, Wigeon and Teal.
Lapwing.
A Whooper Swan family, Pintail, Wigeon and Brent Geese.
More Brent Geese.
Shoveler.
One of 7 Pintail.
Brent and Greylag flushed out.
Whoopers in flight.
More Whoopers!
Roe Deer.
This guy walking along the field edge got the Whoopers up.
Alert Whoopers.
Tree Sparrow.
Magpie.
A small skein of Pink-footed geese over.
The last bird. Three Ringed Plovers landed on the Kilnsea Beach with beautiful light.

No comments: