Monday 22 February 2021

Urban birding at Hull: A walk to Victoria Dock

A cloudy but bright morning, I head towards Victoria Dock, as the flood defence work has opened another stretch by the river bank. My main aim was to see my first Curlew of the year. I meander on the back streets towards town, to avoid the busier Princes Avenue and Spring Bank. As I cross Liddell Park, a skein of 94 Pink-footed Geese fly over northwards. My first pinkfeet this year, what a feeling of spring!
 I carry on towards Scott Street. A group of Herring Gulls are sitting atop a roof, and with them, my first Lesser Black-backed Gull of the year. Lesser Black-backed gulls are migratory, and they are now coming in numbers, many from Spain.
I stop to watch the river where Scott Street bridge used to be. A new set of railings allows a view of the river. A Herring Hull watches me from a light on the opposite edge of the old bridge.
Herring Gull.
Downriver from Scott Street bridge. The river is sandwiched here by buildings, with no space for a riverside path or a green bank.
I carry on along Wilcolmlee, then cut across to wander around the old Charterhouse cemetery and cross George Street, joining the riverbank path on the East side of the river. A Redshank is a bit nervous, bobbing occasionally as it feeds. I notice the river is puzzlingly flat, looking like a lake. A bit ahead it becomes clear why: the flood barrier is down, holding the river water and stopping the tide coming in.
Alarmed Redshank.
Drypool Bridge.
After Drypool Bridge, I walk along the Museums Quarter. Redshanks are scattered along the mudflats, with a 4 individual roost forming near Scale Lane Bridge. 
Saltmarsh by Myton Bridge.
The Flood barrier is down!
As I get to the mouth of the River Hull, I spot a Curlew, very busily feeding in the company of a Redshank. 
Curlew Feeding.
Curlew and Redshank.
The newly refurbished flood barrier by Victoria Dock Village.
Another Curlew, this one feeding on the Humber bank. Its noticeably shorter bill indicate it is probably a male. A third individual was visible in the distance near the Siemens factory.
A Black-headed Gull roost with a Common Gull on the right.
And a pair of Lesser Black-backed Gulls by the dry dock.
Stretching Lesser Black-backed Gull.
This Carrion Crow was not very pleased about the pair of Lesser Black-backed Gulls (the same pair as above) and kept displaying and cawing until they left.
Curlew in flight.
It starts to rain lightly and, having reach the end of the open path at the Half Tide basin, I start my way back. 
Thirteen Redshank roost has gathered on the river bank by Scale Lane bridge.
This Blackbird appeared puzzled by the Blackbird song coming out of the speaker at Scale Lane Bridge. From these railings it flew right to the bottom of the speaker and then took off before I could take a photo.
The avenue of poplars at Queens Gardens. I do hope they can stay, this is one of the most beautiful sights in town and a refuge for wildlife.
A pair of Greylags upending at Queens Gardens is an unusual sight...
...as was a Coot at Princes Quay!
No Med gull today atop Princes Quay, but it was nice to find a Black-headed Gull J1P1 from the Norway scheme, coming all the way from Oslo.

No comments: