Tuesday 16 February 2021

Urban birding at Hull: A walk to Oak Road

 It felt just like spring today. Although it started a bit drizzly, it soon stopped. It was very mild and in the afternoon there were some lovely sunny spells, I even took my gloves and hat at some point. I walked through Pearson Park, Beverley Road, Ryde Street, Ryde Avenue, and Clough Road. At Pearson Park, two Great Spotted Woodpeckers were drumming, responding to each other, each with a different tone on their drumming. I stopped to count the gulls, which appeared particularly numerous. 300 Common Gulls, 19 Black-headed Gulls and 15 Herring gulls fed on the grass.

When I reached the Beverley and Barmston drain at Clough Road I had a peek over the bridge. A Little Grebe! A new addition to this stretch of drain. The light was lovely and I took some photos. As I was recording a video it was joined by a second one.

Little Grebe
Little Grebe with a stick, some stirrings of nesting behaviour?
Two little grebes.
View north (above) and south (below) of this accessible stretch of the drain.

I crossed the road and took Oak Road. Some local volunteers have been doing a great job clearing all the litter and planting trees along the path. Song Thrushes and Greenfinches were singing.
 Oak Road playing fields were very flooded and muddy. I regretter not taking my wellies. I didn't even walk around the lake, joining the river bank instead. The family of Mute Swans, 7 Coots and 3 Mallards were all the water birds in the lake.
Cob mute swan.
mute swan family, two young still around.

A view of the lake, on the left one of the fishing pontoons can be seen, giving an idea of how full the lake was.
The river was at high tide.
Four Cormorants resting atop this pylon near the Stoneferry bridges, with the Reckitt chimney in the distance. 
The bend of the River Hull near Oak Road Lake.
Goldfinches feeding on Alder cones.
Song Thrush singing.
A female Kestrel, the first kestrel this year.
On the way back I was pleasantly surprised to hear a Jackdaw at Pearson Park. They are not regular birds of the avenues, so it was a nice surprise.

No comments: