Tuesday 16 February 2021

Urban birding at Hull: Sculcoates, week 7

What a difference a few days make. All the snow is now gone and it was noticeably mild today. I walked to Sculcoates, to the drain and to the river, but missed the cemeteries today. I ticked 31 bird species. Many bird species were singing and a pair of Magpies were even building their nests by Sculcoates Park.
 As I got to the drain by the cycle lane, I heard a twittering song and spotted a Linnet, singing along at the top of a sycamore. My first Linnet this year. 

I got to the River. It was full tide, in fact, I've never seen the river so full, so I thought no hope to see the Redshanks. But I decided to scan the banks just in case I found some roosting, and just by the place where I saw one last week there was a group of 9 or 10, huddled together (top shot).
River Hull, high tide.
Flock of gulls by the incinerator at Cleveland street.
One of the redshanks had a look around before continuing sleeping.
For a change, it was a Sparrowhawk who was chasing a crow this time, but the crow called its rattling alarm call so I could spot them. A bit later the sparrowhawk landed for a few seconds (above). I wonder if the Sparrowhawks are nesting in these trees.
Another highlight today and addition to year list was a Pied Wagtail near Wilmington Bridge.

No comments: