Sunday 19 March 2023

Sunday morning walk to Oak Road Lake


Unexpectedly mild and sunny morning, I head to Oak Road Lake via Pearson Park. I'm hoping to catch up with breeding toads and the weather bode well, although it wasn't to be, maybe the recent cold spell has slowed things down.

The Jackdaws in the Lakeview House by the park are nest building, I manage a photo against the strong sun.

The female Greylag was standing next to her nest, now holding an egg. A different pair of Greylags was mating, and I wonder if we'll have two breeding pairs this year.
The Moorhen abandoned its wicker basket nest for a short while. Two eggs were visible inside.
As I got to Oak Road Lake, a Chiffchaff was singing enthusiastically, although I only managed a record short. This was the second Chiffchaff singing of the year, as I had my first one at Sculcoates yesterday.
Two Herons flew over the lake, but they didn't land.
Another songster was this Reed Bunting by the lake.
The cob Mute Swan had a preening session on the shore. His partner was on the lake. I saw no signs of nesting.
Cob Mute Swan.
A flotilla of Tudted Ducks.
A Magpie by Pearson park pond showing its metallic colours.
My first frog of the year, just at Pearson Park Pond.
I think this Moorhen is also nesting. It kept looking up, to the Sparrowhawk displaying overhead.
Mallard looking up.

1 comment:

Ralph Hancock said...

We used to have a Moorhen nesting in a wicker basket here, a charming sight and you got a better view of the proceedings than you would with their usual well hidden nests. It was in the fountain in the Sunken Garden, now sadly ripped out to install an awful statue of Princess Diana, to whom there are now six memorials in the park.