Sunday 12 March 2023

March at the urban River Hull


High tide at 9 am, I head for Scott Street bridge early. I'm entertained along the way by a small group of Siskins feeding on a group of mature Alders at Amazing Community Garden. Incredibly acrobatic, one of them hangs upside down picking seeds from the Alder cones. There is chasing and also chorus singing, something flocks of Siskins engage in like Goldfinches do. It's been a great winter for Siskins in Hull.

Another stop was to try and get some photos of a Goldcres in good light. Always happy to get a record shot!

Crow nest building.

As I get to Scott Street Bridge I notice the stiff southwesterly. A pair of Mallard are courting on the river, and a single Redshank is roosting on the wall.



Dunnock.
I find the Redshank roost at their mooring spot, only that this time some of them are of the barge. They are starting to stir as it is after high tide.


It is not until I return by Scale Lane bridge that I see the Curlew, as it happened last time, so I think that it must be roosting just on the bridge itself. My surprise is when the Curlew starts calling and chases another individual away.


Curlew Calling and displaying.
Curlew Calling.
I return via Queens Gardens, where I find this Moorhen.

1 comment:

Ralph Hancock said...

Fine pictures of the Curlew. But you're never more than 50 feet away from a supermarket trolley.

I got a Goldcrest picture today.