Monday 19 December 2022

Low tide at the River Hull by the old town in December


The cold frosty days are over. Today it was hard to believe it was below 0°C yesterday morning. It was 12°C and I felt overdressed in my winter coat as I walked to town. No hat or gloves were needed. It was low tide at 8:40 and I was curious to see which waders were feeding on the River Hull in the same stretch that I did last week for the Wetland Bird Survey core count. From North Bridge, 20 Dunlin fed on the muddy banks of the river in small groups. The same pattern was repeated all the way to Myton Bridge. While the Redshank were dotted along the river, some noisily squabbling, claiming their stretch of mud, the smaller Dunlins were more sociable in pairs, trios or sixes, sometimes near a Redshank. I found the Black-tailed Godwit feeding just north of Scale Lane Br. The noise of heavy traffic in the background didn't seem to disturb the waders. Partly hidden behind a buddleia, I took photos of this Dunlin, which was feeding by the Buoy Shed. In the top shot you can see the open tip of its bill. These are likely to belong to the alpina race, from Scandinavia and Siberia. It is windier as I approach the choppy latte Humber, it feels very sheltered in the river.

Dunlin.
Black-tailed Godwit.
Redshank.
Dunlin north of North Bridge.

The fact that Dunlin and Black-tailed Godwit are using the river and staying around indicates they are finding good food supplies. Just watching them for a little while shows how much food they are encountering too, as they probe and pick and clearly swallow. Is the river becoming more suitable for wader food sources? 

2 comments:

Ralph Hancock said...

I do like Dunlin, such neat brisk little creatures.

Africa Gomez said...

It is fascinating to examine them from close up, I'm always in awe at the flexibility of their bills!