Monday 5 December 2022

A train trip to Bempton Cliffs

The last train trip of the year, I head to Bempton on the 9:21 train. I get to the visitor centre and I'm ready for a hot drink. I was hoping to watch the Short-eared Owls, but the locals inform me that the weather isn't any good for them today, too windy. I was ready for showers, but the biting NE wind was relentless and a bit too much by the cliffs. Fortunately, the Ring Ouzel compensated. I found it by the path near the New Roll-up viewpoint. From the fence it jumped to the ground and started looking for worms. At some point, a brief sunny spell shone on it. I spent a while, sitting on the ground by the fence, watching it. Fluffy foam balls flew over the cliffs.








I walked north with a few birdwatchers that had stopped to see the Ouzel. The highlights were a Brown Hare and two Stonechats.

Stonechat.
Circling Fulmar.

Fulmar pair.
Fulmars on Kittiwake nest.
A rainbow over Filey Brigg. Brief showers added to the weather.
Gannet.

Tree Sparrows.
Chaffinches and Blackbirds under the feeders.
After a hot lunch, I went to see the Ring Ouzel again, and then headed for the station for the 14:31 train to Hull.

3 comments:

Ralph Hancock said...

Splendid to find a Ring Ouzel.

Africa Gomez said...

I can't really clain a 'find' as it has been a reliable bird in the site for a while. I bumped onto it more like it!

Africa Gomez said...

I can't really claim a 'find' as it has been a reliable bird in the site for a while. I bumped onto it more like it!