Tuesday 22 March 2022

A walk to Midmeredales and Noddle Hill in March

A sunny, mild day with a SE breeze less cold than past days. I head north towards Oak Road. On the way, on the Beverley and Barmston drain at Clough Road I notice the berms that the EA has installed on the sides of the drain. Only a few Moorhens and Mallards about. 
Chiffchaffs call at Oak Road and all through the walk. At Oak Road lake I spy the female Mute Swan on her nest. The cob is on the lake. Seven Tufted Ducks.
The female Mute Swan on her nest.
A Cormorant drying its wings.
The last of the young has now been banished from the lake and has to content itself with the river. It was resting on the shore, but a dog run towards it and entered the water. This wing flapping was the sigh of relief when the dog left.

At Sutton Bridge, instead of taking the river bank I walk alongside Ennerdale Road and cut across the fields towards Midmeredales. The fields are flooded in places and I have to step on a motorbike on a ditch to cross to the other side. Five tethered ponies graze on the growing grass.


Linnet.
There are many butterflies at Midmeredales. My first Peacock, a very fresh one.



Also 2 Commas and many Small Tortoiseshells. My first Brimstone flies past. I see quite a few today. One of them was followed by two Small Tortoiseshells. I hear a chattering song and I see some Siskins feeding on Alders. Then, all of a sudden they all fly and I can count that there are 16 of them.
2
Midmeredales are also flooded in places, fortunately the dry weather during the last week means the paths are quite passable.
The growing wet woodland at Midmeredales.
Midmeredales pond.
Kestrel.
Chiffchaff
I get to Foredyke Green. This was initially going to be the end of my walk, but I soon feel like moving on. No frogs or toads, just some pond skaters.


Small Tortoiseshell on Colt's Foot.
I walk along Foredyke Stream. There are many Lesser Black-backed Gulls on the flooded area by the solar panels. Just as I get to the pumping station I hear a Tree Sparrow and spot a Yellowhammer, both new birds for this year sitting on the same hawthorn!


A single Lapwing is visible on the fields.

Then three Snipe fly over, their narrow pointy wings and long bills very distinctive. They fly towards the north fields of the reserve. A Buzzard and a Sparrowhawk are soaring. A hopeful crow starts an ascent, but soon gives up.

Some of the views around Noddle Hill.


This is the view I have when I hear my first Cetti's Warbler of the year. 4 new species for my localbigyear is more than I could hope for, taking me to 80.
On the walk back a crow collects grass to line its nest.

The young Swan on the river.
A lovely and well worth 20 k walk.

No comments: