Friday 25 March 2022

A walk along the River Hull in March

Another sunny, warm day with barely a breeze. I walk along the river from Wilmington Bridge to Reich Carter Way. At Wilmington Bridge, the water is high but very still so I wonder if the tidal barrier is down. A single Redshank is on the usual roost site. As I walk along Stoneferry Road, a Woodcock flies over SW, a very unexpected surprise.

I see several males Anthophora plumipes along the way. No females as yet.

A Reed bunting appears to hunt insects on a flowering blackthorn.
Dunnock.
One of the two Redshank I see upstream from Stoneferry Bridges.
A pony on the floodbank.
It's manure welcome by Yellow Dung Flies.
A Reed Bunting singing, the white background is the Croda wind turbine.
Male Kestrel by Oak Road Lake.
From Oak Road northwards rabbits make an appearance. One of 4 by Ennerdale leisure centre.

I'm surprised to see a small flock of Redwing feeding on the grass near the rabbits. I start making butterfly lists, the most common species Small Tortoiseshells probably saw about 50 overall, at some point 6 chasing each other, several Brimstone and 2 Peacock and a Small White.
I stop and scan the reservoir. An adult pair of Mute Swans and a juvenile were present, but no signs of nesting. There were 8 Teal, 15 Tufted Duck and two pairs of Little Grebes and probably about 100 Herring Gulls, most juveniles.

Adult Mute Swans on Roebank reservoir
Juvenile Mute Swan.
The River Hull just by the reservoir.
One of a pair of Sparrowhawk soaring over the fields at Kingswood.
Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell.

Comma.

I have my lunch on the grass near Haworth Hall, then move to Oak Road lake, where I walk around it. I heard the call of Common Toad from the reedbeds, and I'm lucky to be able to see them. I sit down by the waters edge and watch them, at least four fighting and squabbling for position, they were joined by another one as I sat watching them, my first amphibians of the year. Here is a selection of photos.

Toad.



A singing Song Thrush.
Overall, 44 bird species, with Buzzard, Peregrine, 2 Sparrowhawks and 2 Kestrels seen.

No comments: