Tuesday 14 December 2021

Urban River Hull: Reich Carter Way to Wawne in winter

 

Another walk on my series of the River Hull within the city limits. My aim was to do each stretch on each season, so here is the winter stage for the stretch between Reich Carter Way and Wawne Ferry Road. It was misty but mild, and mid morning some sunny spells. I actually checked the Roebank reservoir before starting the walk proper. Unusual from previous visits was a Great Crested Grebe and a drake Pochard. There were fewer ducks than usual, no Shovelers or Teal.
 A male Kestrel watched the grassy bank from a tree.

Male Kestrel.

I scan the distant fields, hoping for a hare. No hares to be seen, but I'm pleased to find some roe deer, and more than happy to spot, amazingly, an adult pair of Peregrines, the male feeding on a kill, the larger female watching close by.

Three of the four Roe Deer on a field.
Peregrines, the male feeding on a kill, the female behind.

Passerines were few and far between, what a contrast to my spring walk here. A Song Thrush sits atop a tree by a farm. A flock of 10 Redwing kept circling around.

Song Thrush.

Two dog walkers let me know that they see two herons about, and a Cormorant, and a Barn Owl, which is nice to hear. I haven't had a Barn Owl at Hull this year. Just a few minutes later I come across the first heron, a juvenile, a bit later, three Cormorants assorted on posts and pylons.

Juvenile Grey Heron.
One of the three Cormorants.
A Rook takes off.

The River looking very serene as the tide flows. The young heron keeps flying in front of me. One of the times it lands on the bank and an adult heron immediately sees it off.

Feral Pigeons and wind vane on a barn.
The adult heron on the bank.
Moorhens on the river bank.
A duck flies downstream over the river. The contrasting white and dark plumage and orange legs point at drake Goosander, and I'm pleased to catch up with it later, fishing on the river Hull. My first Goosander on the river Hull within the city limits.

Drake Goosander.

No comments: