Tuesday 7 December 2021

Urban birding at Hull: Sculcoates week 49 and walk upstream River Hull

 Another dull, dark day, the wind started light and then picked up in anticipation of storm Barra, but at least there wasn't rain. I started at dawn, which was at 8 am. At Sculcoates park I have a Great Spotted Woodpecker. I got to Wilmington bridge at high tide, a very high tide at 7.67 m. I found the Redshank roost, 11 of them, farther away on the river bank than usual, only visible from the side of the bridge near the river.

The Redshank roost.
A Magpie tail-flicking by the playing fields.
A flock of Redwing, flies over the drain, a year tick for the patch. I counted 46 on a different photo with the whole flock.

I walk north via Bankside. I scan the horizon towards the North, and I see a Peregrine carrying prey, followed by another! Both land high in a metal tower. They are distant, and the dull, dark day doesn't help with photos. But I'm pleased to see them, the second photo showing the huge difference in size between male (left) and female.

Peregrine eating pigeon.
A pair of Peregrines on the tower.

I cross Clough Road and walk along the river. There are some scattered Redshank, maybe 5 in total in the stretch of river from Stoneferry Bridges to the Oak Road wind turbine, but I don't see any roost.



A flock of 14 Linnet landed on an industrial roof.
Six Cormorants atop their usual pylon, I think this is the most I've seen there.

Redshank near Cargill mill.
This gives an idea of the numbers of Feral Pigeons on Cargill mill, the Peregrines have a steady supply.
I walk over the steps to take Stoneferry Road. A mixed gull flock is assembling on an industrial roof, with four Jackdaws walking about looking for food.

One of four Great Black-backed Gulls in the area today.

After returning via Wilmington Bridge I walked around the patch, visiting the Northern Cemetery and along the drain. The Mallards and Moorhens were busy feeding on duckweed. 


Mallard

No comments: