Monday 14 December 2020

Urban birding at Hull: Noddle Hill LNR

It has been raining a lot the last few days, and we've had our fill of dark days, but today it promised to be a sunny, mild day, with southerly wind. I headed towards Noddle Hill, and I decided to walk along Foredyke Stream first.

I must have flushed a Little Egret, not a common sight inside the limits of the city. A flock of Lapwing and gulls are on the flooded fields at the other side of the drain. They were hard to count as there was a hedgerow and trees obscuring them. A few minutes later a Sparrowhawk managed to flush the flock and a photo of the Lapwing in flight revealed 164 individuals. Then, noisy skeins of Greylag started arriving from the North. The banks of the drain were very muddy which made for slow progress, but I got to the pumping station. A Buzzard was sitting on a fence and a female Kestrel hunted nearby. 

Female Kestrel
I search for Stonechats on the field south of the pumping station unsuccessfully, but hearing a calling Water Rail makes up for it. The female Kestrel sits on a hedgerow, the low winter sun silhouetting her. I take the perimeter path. Crows and a couple of Jackdaws raise, but surprisingly no Rooks.

A poor record shot of the Little Egret.
Flooded fields.
Lapwing, gulls and pheasants.

Lapwing flock.
Lapwing flock.
Greylag.

I arrive at the fishing lake, there is a large gathering of Greylag, and at least 50 Mallard. A young Grey Heron is sitting on a branch at the other side of the lake. I approach slowly and it appears oblivious to me. A Little Grebe is also about, which is a site tick. As I leave, a male Kestrel is hunting along the drain. A total of 39 species and some special encounters for a mid December day!

Grey Heron.




Flooded woodland.
A view of the lake.
The drain to the east of the reserve, running fast today.
Little Grebe.
Grey Heron.
Male Kestrel hunting over the drain in beautiful light.

No comments: