Tuesday 8 December 2020

Urban birding at Hull: December at Pickering Park

 I realised yesterday I had never been to Pickering Park in December, so that was the perfect excuse for a trip there. That, and the Goosanders! It was very cold and the very light southerly breeze made me keep my gloved hands in my pockets most of the time, especially when walking around the exposed lake.

As I got to the lake I saw the Mute Swan family gathered on the north edge of the lake. The adult pair had their two yearlings, born in 2019, and three young born in spring 2020. Usually swans chase their young away from their territory in the autumn, but this pair tolerates their young for much longer, probably because of the large size of the lake and plentiful food. The cob, however, was all fluffed wings and lowered head, a behaviour called 'busking' to one of the two older young. After a short chase, the young started flying, followed by a younger sibling and dad, and all three flew to the other end of the lake. I watched this happened three times while I was there. The swans only needed to drift on the wind to the top of the lake, and then take advantage of the gentle head wind for an easier lift. They yearlings might be getting ready to finally leave their natal lake, practicing taking off and landing.

Mute Swan family. A wing stretch.
The cob in busking position.
Two of the three young of this year, moulting into their white feathers, approach me in an area of the lake where the shore is very low, allowing for almost level photos of the swimming wildfowl. The single Pochard got very close too (top shot)
The cob at Pickering Park.

There were 15 Goosanders, with seven adult drakes and eight females and first winter males.

Most of the Goosander flock.
This could be a first year male.
Adult male.
Two of the females sat on the shore. Taking advantage on how quiet the park was today.
Drake Pochard.
To end, this grey squirrel, looking quite rotund, sat on a rock watching me.

No comments: