Sunday 15 November 2020

Urban birding at Hull: A walk to Children's Wood

An early sunday morning walk to Children's Wood, via St Ninian's walk and the Setting Dyke. It is dark and drizzly with a southerly wind. Flocks of starlings settle on aerials, singing. As get to the playing fields I head the sharp alarm calls of Fieldfares, and a flock leaves the hawthorns where they were feeding. There are few people about. The herring gulls are quite noisy, with alarm calls too. A 50 strong flock of Common Gulls that were feeding on the playing field takes flight, but I can't see the cause of their alarm.


The Setting Dyke.
Record shot of fieldfare.
A young male blackbird takes a bath on the dyke, near the train line. This is a favourite site for bathing birds, as it is shallow and the water runs over shingle.

Stock dove. This exagerated position reveals the shiny metallic bands on the stock dove's neck, but I can't see any other individual.
I get to Children's Wood. This is a young, millennium wood. I see a bird on the corner of my eye, landing nearby. It's a female Sparrowhawk and she is holding a small bird on her right foot. The light is not ideal inside the wood, and the camera gets a bit of drizzle, making focusing tricky, but I manage a shot. A Blue Tit alarm calls nearby.
After a walk around the wood, I hear the calls of Pink-foots. A couple of small skeins, a total of 13 geese, flies north.


Starlings singing from the aerial.
The sun shines for a few minutes in between the clouds, but it starts raining as soon as I get back home.

No comments: