Tuesday 10 November 2020

Urban birding at Hull: Oak Road Lake and the River Hull in November

Another still, mild morning starting misty, then some sunny spells developed. I walk to Oak Road via Pearson Park, Beverley Road, Ryde Street, and Clough Road and then walked on the bank of River Hull. Pink-footed geese call overhead, but I can't see them with the fog. I'm impressed they even leave their roosts with the little visibility. When the sky clear a bit I see a small skein of 11 flying East. 

The new resident pair of Mute Swans at Oak Road Lake have successfully raised three young this year. They were incubating during the spring lockdown. I stop to give them some clover from the shore, which they love, but can't reach as there is no easy way out of the lake for the swans. A ramp would probably be welcome for the swans.


Grey Wagtail.
The river is flowing downstream with the tide, and its quite low, I walk towards the Croda factory. Two Grey Wagtails feed on the exposed banks, repeatedly crossing the river. A Redshank calls and flies away. 

I spot a Buzzard sitting on a hawthorn, with two magpies keeping an eye on it.

Buzzard.
Buzzard and Magpie.
As I walk back by the lake, I hear a Cetti's Warbler singing at the lake. Cetti's warblers are a relatively recent colonist in East Yorkshire, first bred north of the Humber in 2006, after having started colonising the south of the UK from the early 70s. It has colonised Tophill Low, and North Cave Wetlands, and in the last few years it appears to have colonised the area around Oak Road, as I heard it in May singing from the Croda grounds.
Path to the lake.
Cormorant over.
The cormorant flew around the lake, but didn't land.
Blackbird feeding on hawthorn berries.

On the walk back I come across this lovely street art, who doesn't love some house martins in November?

No comments: