Sunday, 27 September 2026

Spurn and Beacon Ponds in September

A calm, sunny and mid day, I take the Spurn Explorer bus to Easington. I walk along the beach to Beacon Ponds and then to the Discovery Centre. A large dragonfly ahead against the sun settles on the cliff vegetation, I manage to get closer for photos, it's a Lesser Emperor, the second I see this year in East Yorkshire and ever. The combination of green eyes and a blue 'saddle' are diagnostic. The species was first recorded in the UK in 1996, and has had several bumper years, but the fact that this is the 17th record in East Yorkshire this year is likely a result of the record hot summer we have endured.

Female Lesser Emperor.

I visit the relatively new hide south of Beacon lagoons. The path is across a reed bed and the reeds show how dry it has been this year as they are quite short. Despite this, the path offers shelter and basking opportunities to dragonflies, including many Common Darters. Amongst them, another dragonfly bonus in the shape of a female Red-veined Darter, another recent colonist to the UK. The hide has a great light, looking north. Although the lagoon levels were quite low (top shot), there was enough interest, with Wigeon, Teal and Shoveler. A Grey Heron got some small fish while I was there.

One of several Little Grebes at Beacon Lagoons.
Wigeon.
The path to the new hide south of Beacon Lagoons.
Red-veined Darter.
Sea Aster Bee.
Reed Bunting.
Grey Heron.
I have a coffee at the Discovery Centre after a quick visit to Canal Scrape. Three male Migrant Hawkers are present.
Migrant Hawker.

Afterwards, I walk to the clifftop path and then south to Chalk Bank hide. A Wheatear is the first of just a trickle of migrants. Just as I am getting to Chalk Bank, I see a Clouded Yellow feeding on perennial rocket, another great insect for the day.

Wheatear.

Wall Brown.
Clouded Yellow.
Time to head back. in the little pond by the road I spot a Willow Emerald, the first one I've seen in Spurn. What a fab day for dragonflies!

Willow Emerald.
A group of at least 10 Little Egrets by the Humber.
 
Stonechat. One of three seen together on the field by Borrow Pit.

No comments: