Tuesday 21 November 2023

Train trip: Scarborough Harbour and Rotunda Museum

I wanted to visit the Rotunda Museum to see some of its Pleistocene fossils for an upcoming walk, so I took the 8:21 train and was at the Rotunda for its opening time at 10:00. I spent a very interesting hour looking at the collections and cabinets. An addition since the last time I visited is the Walrus skull found at Reighton Sands in 2018, which now takes place of pride in the museum gallery.

The stunning building of the Museum in its scenic setting from the Spa Bridge.

Bone harpoons and stone axe and flint arrowheads. 

The Reighton Walrus skull.
The Rotunda ceiling.

There is a stiff northerly wind, but it's sheltered in the Harbour. I soon spot a Great Northern Diver. The Great Black-backed Gull gives an idea of its size. There are sunny spells and it's not ideal to photograph the diver against the light, so I move to the Lighthouse pier, where the views are much better.

There are two GN Divers, an immature, which has a beautifully patterned, fresh plumage.
Immature GN Diver.
Immature GN Diver.
Adult GN Diver.
This is the adult, which is moulting into its winter plumage. It got a crab and is about to swallow it after removing all the legs.
Then I got a very nice surprise, a Black-necked Diver. A few birdwatchers have told me it was about, but it surfaced just under the pier, really close, so I got brilliant views, and a lifer!
Black-necked Diver.
Black-necked Diver. It headed to the entrance of the harbour and it was soon lost from view.

Lobster Pots.
House Sparrow. They love the lobster pots.

A Grey Seal on the surf.
After lunch the divers got a bit sleepy and went together out of the harbour for a snooze.
A view of Scarborough South Bay from Spa Bridge.
 

No comments: