Monday 3 April 2023

Train trip: walking around Flamborough Head from Bempton to Bridlington

 

A cloudy day with a persistent light Westerly wind and a couple of showers. I take the train to Bempton and get to Bempton Station at 9:10 to start the walk. It is over 20 km walk today which I have been planning to do for a while: from Bempton station to Bempton Cliffs, then follow the coastal footpath around Flamborough Headland until I get to Bridlington, where I take the train back to Hull. I don't walk very fast when there is a lot of wildlife (especially invertebrates) so it seemed like ideal weather and time of the year for it. I had also been to Bempton Cliffs, recently so I don't stop much. On the way, a Brown Hare runs across the fields. A bullfinch by the RSPB visitor centre was unusual. Very vocal, it flew north, returned to the hedge and then flew again. A lone Sand Martin, my first hirundine of the year flew north too. Other migrant, just after the end of the reserve was a Wheatear.

Fulmar pair at their nest site.
Staple Newk.
Plenty of flowering primroses at the cliffs (hard to see in the photo above).
Gannets in their nest locations ready to go. 
Puffin with a Gannet in the background at Staple Newk.
Razorbills.
Raft of Kittiwakes.
Meadow Pipits. Several displayed their parachute flight and ticking song along the cliffs at Bempton.
The north end of Danes Dyke marks the end of Bempton Cliffs and the start of North Cliff.
Many lambs on a field.
Starlings on the same field.
A lone Redwing.
My first Wheatear of the year at the end of the same field.
Soon I get to Thornwick Bay, where the path skirts the ravine over the small, beautiful bay. A Reed Bunting sits by the path briefly.
Reed Bunting.
Thornwick Bay.
All through the walk so far, Skylarks sing in a constant soundtrack. I manage to spot one near the path in great light.
Skylark.
North Landing appears as soon as I get round the golf course. I'm feeling like I'm not making a lot of progress. It's 12 o'clock and I haven't even got to the half point of the walk. 


Holmes Gut.
North Landing cobles.

North Landing puffin galore ticked! I have a light lunch in the café picnic tables, and I get a bit more optimistic about my pace. I don't stop long, still quite a way ahead. Soon, Flamborough light house can be seen in the distance, looking within reach. The next section is one of my favourites on the headland, the cliff being cut by headlands and small bays.



Guillemots.
Breil Newk.
A Shag was diving for nest material.
The light station in the distance, with flowering Gorse in the foreground.
I'm at Flamborough lighthouse! There is more people in this area and I note a regular bus arriving, which I might use to visit the area more regularly.

I look forward to checking if there are Grey Seals on the small beach at the head itself. When visiting Spurn with students a few weeks ago, a Marine Rescue Medic had just been counting them and told us that 450 Grey Seals were hauled out at Flamborough. The headland appears to have become a regular hauling site. I'll let the following photos speak for themselves!

Grey Seals.
Grey Seal beach




Another group on a smaller beach.
The beaches are difficult to access, but some people have actually gone down to be able to take photos of the seals with their phones. The access has now been blocked and a sign educates people about the best way to enjoy the seals without disturbing them.
I continue now on the south side of the headland, with my sights on South Landing, the next stage. I spot a Kestrel hovering over the path. I walk right underneath it and take a photo with better light.

Female Kestrel.
Wren. I saw a Stonechat in the distance, but couldn't get good shots of it.
Some mining bees on dandelion. There were several species of bumblebee on the wing, plus Yellow Dung Flies.
South Landing beach.

After South Landing, a shower. I put my hand on top of my camera and speed up towards Danes Dyke. I check how long it will take for me to get to Bridlington station, should get there in an hour, about 16:30, if I'm lucky I could get the 16:36 train.

Danes Dyke wood.
I take the steps down to the ravine at Danes Dyke. The tide is low and ebbing, and the shower has cleared. It is sunny and much warmer. A change of surface might do my feet good, so I decide to walk to the beach until Bridlington. It is pebbly, or rocky and uneven in a short stretch, but soon is only sand. Walking on the beach allows me to spot the few pairs of Fulmar that nest in the south cliffs of the headland.

I leave the dark sky behind now.
Fulmar pair.
I count 8 individuals in 5 different nest sites.
Oystercatcher.
Great Crested Grebe.
Rock Pipit.
Crow with crab.
I'm at the North Beach at Bridlington. I walk faster, I'm almost there. I check my phone and I find out that the train is delayed 11 minutes, which is exactly what I need!
A last look back at the headland, with bonus rainbow.
Kittiwakes are back in town.
I get some water and brownie at the Couplands by the station and make it to the train with a few minutes to spare. I have walked 25 km today, which is probably my longest walk ever.

1 comment:

Ralph Hancock said...

Superb Skylark picture. It's good to see the Fulmars so fond of each other. You really don't think of them as cuddly birds.