Tuesday 25 January 2022

A walk to Willerby Carrs and Wood Lane

 A cloudy, grey but still day, not as cold as yesterday, I walk along Setting Dyke to Willerby Carrs, back via Wood Lane and Snuff Mill Lane.

I search for water voles on the Setting Dyke, but other than seeing lots of burrows, I see none. A Herring Gull mobs a Grey Heron over Priory Road.


There are many floods on the fields of Willerby Carr Farm, which hold horses. After hearing their calls, I find five Redshank, scattered, feeding on the edges of pools. Siskins call from trees and I flush a Green Woodpecker from a paddock.

Redshank.
Green Woodpecker.
Siskin.
A very cool cat, like a tabby without stripes.
View of the fields by the Setting Dyke.
A large pool holds 117 Lapwing, 81 Teal and 1 Shoveler. 
Lapwing.
Lapwing and Teal.
A Shoveler was resting with the Lapwing. 
Horse paddocks and floods.
I take Swine Bank and then Wood Lane. As usual, Wood Lane is very muddy, but fortunately not flooded. On the muddiest stretch of the lane, someone has abandoned a mountain bike, the wheels so caked in mud that is probably impossible to ride. 



A mixed tit flock is around the oaks and trees on the lane, including Long-tailed Tits and two Goldcrests. I return via Snuff Mill Lane to Bricknell Avenue. 13 km round trip.

No comments: