Saturday 9 January 2021

Urban birding at Hull: Sculcoates week 2

 A beautiful morning, frosty, blue sky, I head to Sculcoates. I first explore the area around the railway line behind Abbey Way. Three Greenfinches fly over, and I spy a Song Thrush with some Blackbirds feeding on hawthorn. A sound draws my attention and I watch as three Roe Deer run away amongst the trees along the railway line. The deer and three Grey Squirrels make the start of the mammal list for the patch. I add Crow, Magpie, Redshank and Stock dove to the square year list, now to adding to 28.

Frosty lawn with the railway line on the right.
The drain has a layer of ice up to about half a meter wide a bit over the water surface and the water is steaming (top shot). Moorhens and Mallards sit by it.
Looking north from the cycle/pedestrian bridge.
The almshouses building.
Two Stock Doves are having a face off.
This corner pylon is in a brownfield site next to one of the cemeteries.
A view of the oldest cemetery.
The tide is low and a redshank appears with much calling.

Redshank feeding on the mud of the river, on the reflection of the British Extractions building.

I bump into David L. who's been working hard scything areas in the cemetery. He tell's me that he's seen both frogs and toads in the newest cemetery. There are three bullfinches feeding on buds on the newest cemetery, and that puts an end to today's walk.

No comments: