Wednesday 7 April 2021

Urban birding in Hull: Sculcoates week 14 in Arctic weather

In the last week, I went from reading under an umbrella in the garden in short sleeves to donning my thick winter coat and gloves the next day. As the wind turned northerly, the cold has been the highlight of the week, with several days of frost. I have been visiting the patch regularly this week as I'm on holidays, this is a summary of the visits.

2nd April

I spot the female Sparrowhawk at Pearson Park on the way to the patch and take some photos. The leaves are growing fast and soon the Sparrowhawks will be much harder to find.

At Sculcoates, just by Abbey Way, I see a raptor over. As I zoom in with the camera I realise it is a Red Kite! A very nice tick for the patch. It carries on towards the SE.

Beverley and Barmston drain.
Singing Blackcap.
Male Blackcaps appear to have arrived en masse to their territories. I hear their lovely song of the first one and quickly find it on one of my favourite spots on the patch, an area with plenty of bushes, an ivy-covered tree and flowering cherries. It briefly sings in the open. I'm hoping for Whitethroat and Lesser Whitethroat there later in the year. 
After a walk around the patch I count 7 Chiffchaffs, 4 singing Blackcaps, and make up to 29 sp in the first April list.

Ten Redshank assembled on their usual high tide roost near Wilmington Bridge.
Song thrush.
As I stand on the other side of Wilmington bridge a train heading to Drax passes by. Its deafening noise flushes two wagtails from near the river. I follow them with the binoculars, not quite able to make out which species is it against the sky. But when the wagtails fly in front of the reckit tower a flash of yellow shows they are Grey Wagtails, another patch tick for the day!
This drake mallard was just sitting on the grass at Air Street cemetery. When it saw me, it lowered its head, trying unsuccessfully to blend in.
Bluebells already open at the N Sculcoates cemetery.
This young woodpigeon was unusually dark.

4th April

Its Easter Sunday and very appropriately I find my first egg of the year. I accidentally flush a moorhen from her nest in the drain and an egg is revealed!

A comma sits basking nearby.
Starlings are now looking really dapper. Males can be identified by the bluish base of their lower bills.

5th April

It feels absolutely freezing, but I still walk to East Park. On the way past Sculcoates patch this Woodpigeon carrying nest material alights on a streetlamp.
It's low tide as I cross the bridge over the river and a couple of Redshanks are visible, feeding on the mud. 
I spot a male chaffinch and he leaves to mate with a female. Another beautiful bird!

6th April

I walk to Wilmington Bridge with my son and we do a bit of litter picking.

One Redshank visible today.
I have no hope to see Gannets on the patch, but this street art is quite cheerful!
7th April

Cold, a little snow yesterday that persists on shady areas. Northerly wind. A cold April is not the same as a cold December. During sunny spells, the temperature rises in sheltered spots, where insects are active. In these pockets of warmth Chiffchaffs congregated today. I have been counting about 5 individuals, most of them males singing, but in the past days females seem to be joining them. Blackcaps are also on territory now and today a Coot was on the drain. 

My first cuckoo bumblebees this year. Both on the 7th of April on the same sunny bank. I think they are Bombus vestalis.

Four Redshanks visible today on the low tide from the Wilmington Bridge area. It won't be long until they leave for their breeding grounds.
A lone Coot on the drain.
This Blackbird had an odd, repetitive song very reminiscent of Mistle Thrush. I'm still to see a Mistle thrush in the patch.
A view of the drain from Fountain road bridge.
As I walk along the disused railway line near Abbey Way, a special encounter. I spot something behind the fence. It's a Roe Deer buck, watching me in between browsing, it didn't flee, but slowly moved up the bank until I could clearly see him between the trees. I left him there after taking his photo (top shot and below).


No comments: