Monday 26 April 2021

Urban birding in Hull: A walk around North Bransholme

 A sunny, but cool morning, I parked at Kesteven way by Foredyke Green, the start of a circular walk around North Bransholme. I started by walking along Wilberforce Wood/Midmeredales. Many Willow Warblers were singing, with some Chiffchaff and Blackcaps and a Whitethroat, I managed a record shot, still very skulking.

Whitethroat.
Midmeredales pond, very full, despite the ongoing drought.
A flying Sparrowhawk ended all the song. 

After walking back and forth along Midmeredales I popped at the Foredyke Green pond. The water has subsided a bit and much of the path is now walkable. The pair of Moorhens had 4 chicks, but the pair of Mallards don't appear to be nesting yet. I looked around but no signs of Odonata yet.


Foredyke Green Pond.

I crossed Bude Road and walked along the lovely green corridor along Holwell road. I was surprised to hear a Lesser Whitethroat singing from the tall hedgerow. It appeared to be responding to a Chaffinch singing. I managed a few record shots (top).

Lesser Whitethroat.
Holwell rd area.
Holwell rd area.

Female Blackcap drinking from blackthorn flowers.
I crossed Wawne Road and walked by Cumbrian Way. There are old hedges and newly planted trees and grassland. A ditch, Old Main drain, had just some water. I scanned the fields. Two hares were on one of them by Noddle Hill LNR. A Pheasant called. 
No bluebells yet at Bluebell Way.
Fresh Specked Wood. One of several seen today.
I took a detour to visit Ash Plantation, a copse that is now part of the green areas of the estate. It was lovely to realise that there is a rookery on it, with about 10 active nests. Rooks went back and forth, some feeding either hungry incubating females or noisy chicks. The plantation has plenty of old wood, a good undergrowth cover and informative panels describing the plants and trees that can be found. Red campion was in bloom.

A view of Ash Plantation.
Rook nests and rook.
Ash plantation.

I returned to Cumbrian Way, which bends around the edge of the city limits and walked along a footpath by the fields.

Jackdaw.
Rook walking on a field.
Hull sign at Wawne Road. 
I was back by the Foredyke Green pond for my lunch. As I approached the pond a Kingfisher flew off, my first Kingfisher in the site. I had it watching a crow that had an eye on the Moorhen chicks. One of the adults gather all kept the chicks while the other went to chase the crow.

No comments: