Tuesday 13 April 2021

Urban birding in Hull: a walk by the river Hull to Bransholme

A sunny day, with a light northerly wind. It is also the last day of my Easter holidays at home, and I decide walk along the River Hull to Reich Carter Way. It is a very high tide as I reach the river by Wilmington Bridge. I'm pleased to find the Redshank roost in its usual spot, this time with 9 birds.

I carry on the cycle lane, there is a slight rise and a view to the left, where an aggregates company is. A male Kestrel flies into view and over my head. 

Kestrel.
I then turn north by the busy Stoneferry Road, until I can regain the river bank on the Wilberforce Way, with an odd staircase over a wall which doesn't make a lot of sense. It is a good vantage point though.
Looking north from the staircase.
And looking south. The Reckit tower and old oil industrial buildings on the horizon.
Not sure if I've mention before in the blog that there is no trace on the path indicating that this is the Wilberforce way, no waymarkers or panels, and barely a path at all in places to be honest
A stretch of the Wilberforce Way.

But I'm more than happy to walk alongside the river anywhere in town. The opposite bank is vegetated and the mud is used by Redshanks. No signs of a roost today and I carry on towards Stoneferry bridges.
The twin stoneferry bridges. I notice there is a passage underneath, but unfortunately is bolted and I have to wait for a while to safely cross the road.
Two Greenfinches sing from the B&Q bushes by the road.
I spend some time photographing the moorings by the river bank. There are several designs and many have been decorated with paint. I don't think they are getting much use these days, although there is the occasional barge moored there. Yesterday, Nathan Pickering on twitter mentioned that he used to check a Redshank roost by Croda. I have only walked this stretch of river on low tides, as the path on the west side is sloping and I was unsure if passable at high tide. It is not long before I spot the Redshank, regularly spaced, just 5 birds. They are on the river wall on the noisiest spot on the river, just behind the scrapyard with the massive grabbers placing metal on an incinerator. They seem relaxed enough. Nathan used to see 20+ so I guess the flock is much diminished.

Metal action.

I reach the first field with rough grass. A male Kestrel flies and lands on a CCTV post, displacing two Starlings. 

I thought the Cormorants were gone for the year, but I spot one in the usual location on the pylon.
Another flies to the river, where it catches a Flounder, and then drops it and catches it again. I think the flounder won as I didn't see the cormorant swallow it, maybe just too wide for it to pass it through.


I get to Oak Road area. It is quiet on the other bank. I check the lamp posts by the Croda wind turbine and there is a female Kestrel on one. A Black-headed gull is just sitting on the bank and a Mistle Thrush was singing, then feeding on the path.
Oak Road area.
Black-headed gull.
Mistle thrush.

Shortly after a Sand Martin (my first this year) and a Swallow fly north together. I see another Swallow by the Sutton road bridge.


This large tree, maybe a poplar, is in a private garden. It is magnificent and starlings and stock doves nest in its holes.
stock dove.
Ennerdale N pond. A lot of water and a pair of Mallards.
As I get to Bransholme Reservoir I spot this Reed Bunting on the barbed wire. It keeps looking at the fishing line caught in it.
There are lots of insects by the reservoir. I find my first Nursery web spiders, basking on leaves, some toad-like with their legs tucked in. There are plenty of Small Tortoiseshells, some Peacocks, Commas and Small Tortoiseshells. Later a male Brimstone passes by. A Bombus pascuorum and Anthophora plumipes and a mining bee too feed around the white and red deadnettles.
Nursery web spider.
Just the usual at the Reservoir. Two pairs of Little Grebes, some Tufted ducks, 4 Shovelers and a pair of mute swans. I get to Reich Carter Way and start the return on the other bank.
Field by Haworth house.
Crow collecting nest lining material.
Two crows start climbing up laboriously, one rattles, I scan the sky and spot this Buzzard moving north. Crows abort the mission.
Magpie.
As I walk by the Oak Road playing fields I notice an odd bird feeding on the grass. I can't believe it is a white or silvery crow and I remember Andy Gibson messaged me about such a bird on new years day. So it is still about this strange leucistic bird. 




I watch the crow until a dog chases it off. Then I carry on towards Oak Road lake for my lunchtime picnic. Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs sing. There are 6 Tufted ducks on the lake, and a Coot pair have young, but they are keeping them in the reeds.

I'm pleased to see the swans as I couldn't find them last time. The cob is preening on a platform while the pen is on her nest.

Mute Swan on nest.
Mute swan cob.
I return by Beverley Road and have a peek at the drain. There is a moorhen chick in the distance, but Herring Gull alarm calls alert me to another Buzzard. Gulls have no problem reaching the height of the buzzard and swooping at it.

Buzzard and Herring gull.

No comments: