Wednesday 31 March 2021

Urban birding in Hull: Sculcoates week 13 March heat wave

 We've been enjoying a very unseasonal warm spell this week. On Monday afternoon, I visited the Sculcoates patch to try and see some insect activity. I walked on the small park, the drain and the north and south cemeteries. Daffodils, primroses and blackthorn were in bloom. Warm and sunny, I was rewarded with many firsts of the year, including a butterfly survey, something I don't think I've even done in March.

Butterflies are out!

Small Tortoiseshells were out, sometimes three chasing, I also had two pairs courting

Small Tortoiseshell.
Small Tortoiseshells courting.
Courting Small Tortoiseshells.
I don't remember seeing Small Whites in March.
Two Commas were in the north cemetery. This one was quite intact...
...whereas this one is more 3/4 of a comma. Missing a whole wing but still able to fly.

A large patch of primroses. A Bee Fly was hovering over it and a male Anthophora plumipes.
Bee fly feeding on primroses.
A blackthorn in bloom in the southern cemetery.
On the way home I spot this Andrena fulva, the first of the year, on the road.
Bee Fly.

No comments: