Monday 19 April 2021

A walk by the River Hull at Kingswood

I walk from Kingswood Reservoir (old sewage works) to the wetlands at the NW corner of the city limit. A sunny, beautiful still day, warmer than previous days. There are still fields by the river, mostly left fallow after ploughing. The hedgerows are in very poor state, almost non existent.

I start by checking the Bransholme or Roe Bank reservoir. The building at the end looks like a colony of Herring gulls. A pair of Shoveler rests on the water. There are Tufted ducks, Coots, plenty of Greylags and Lesser Black-backed gulls and Herring gulls. I can only see a Little Grebe.
The male swan busking to Greylags. The pair of swans in residence don't appear to have a nest. After chasing the greylags, the pair did some practice flying, taking off and landing at the other end of the reservoir.
Reed buntings sung at regular intervals by the river Hull.
Skylarks sing as soon as I emerge from the underpass. There are two males rising and singing, then descending to a patch on a fallow field. They are tricky to spot as they land, as they are superbly camouflaged. At some point I count five in a skirmish.
Skylark.
Skylark.
Linnets.
A distant Grey Heron.
A distant hare at the other side of the river.
A mallard with ducklings in the river.
Some Greylag rest by the river. Wawne is the village in the distance.
I'm surprised to see the Chiloe Wigeon that occasionally visits Pearson park, resting with the Greylags.
I hear my first Willow Warbler of the year singing by the wetlands. As I approach there is a second one singing too. 

Willow Warbler.
Mallard pair.
Mallard and ducklings.
As I start to return I hear a wagtail and when it flies I realise it is a Yellow Wagtail, also my first this year and a nice addition to the Hull list. Two Yellowhammers cross the river, giving no photographic opportunities.
 A not very long, but really pleasant walk, which I mean to repeat in a month or so.
Roe Deer and Pheasant.
A pair of Crows appear to be feeding on a dead rabbit.

No comments: