Monday 15 March 2021

Urban birding at Hull: A walk along the Beverley and Barmston drain

 Today I walked to the north edge of the city at Orchard Park via Beverley Road, Strawberry Lane, Green Lane and then taking the public footpath by the Beverley and Barmston Drain from Endyke Lane. 

Mallard pair.

I popped to the drain at Beresford Avenue and surprised a fox, who was going down to the water, who promptly disappeared through the hedgerows of the allotments. The usual Moorhens and Mallards were at the drain, but no Little Grebes, which seem to have moved back to their breeding sites after the icy weather. At Oak Road I took Green Lane, a pleasant public right of way by the Playing Fields. Of note were four Siskins, which were feeding on some Alders, but came down to drink at a puddle.

Green Lane.
Goldcrest singing.
Siskin.
Siskin.
A common gull in breeding plumage swims in the flooded field.
The still flooded Oak Road Playing fields.
Mistletoe clump atop a Poplar.
Mistletoe.
I crossed Beverley Road again and walked by Endyke Lane to join the drain again. 
Moorhen. With a bit of effort not to get any litter in the frame.
I do not often reflect this, but the drain has got a litter problem. The banks are very steep and even if some volunteers wanted to do a litter clean this would be quite tricky unless you were on a kayak. I often use the Trolleywise app to report shopping trolleys on the drain, but this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Sunny sky and a cool, pleasant temperature.
After Greenwood Avenue, I spotted the pair of swans that live on the bend of the drain. On the way back the pen was pulling vegetation and throwing it to her side, the first stirrings of nest building.
These looked like water vole burrows, but hard to know how old they are.
Mute Swan cob.
Mute Swan pair.
The lovely bend on the drain with a small reedbed and willows.
Mute Swan pen with nest material.
On the stretch after Hall Road, a pair of Greylag were on attendance. I noticed that the male kept its tail up, possibly displaying to the female.
Looking north. A very straight stretch of the drain.
Greylag pair.
Buzzard and Kestrel.
The Counter Dyke, looking west.
Buzzard.

I reached the limits of the city. There is a small hill with large trees. A Buzzard flew over, later with a Kestrel in the distance. At the Counter Dyke I turn round. I stop at Oak Road lake for my second picnic of the year before returning home, in total a 14 km walk.

Colts foot. 1st one I see in flower this year.
A very confiding Robin by the lake.
A male Reed Bunting, on the same spot where I saw a female last week.

No comments: