Saturday 6 March 2021

Urban birding at Hull: Sculcoates, week 9

A cloudy, cold day, I head to Sculcoates via Pearson Park. A parliament of crows is having a serious debate atop the largest poplar by Princes Avenue. A Magpie was interested and I could also hear a Jackdaw calling nearby. Then they moved onto another large poplar, where the resident pair has its nest. After watching them for a while, I left them be. 

A parliament of Crows.

The flock of Common Gulls has been very flighty the last few days, while feeding on the lawns, at some disturbance, they all leave and alight on the rooftops. I wonder if they are getting restless, and starting to be ready to migrate to Scandinavia.

I walk to the river via Bankside and the cemeteries. The north cemetery has got many primrose patches in bloom.
As I get to the river, an enormous flock of gulls takes off from the industrial estates. I can't identify the cause of the commotion.
The tide should be high but the tidal barrier must be down, as the river looks like a lake. A single Redshank feeds on some exposed mud and the usual roost has seven individuals.
Feeding redshank.
Redshank roost.
I return via the cycle lane. A Greenfinch and a Song Thrush sing near the drain. Just the usual Moorhens and Mallards on the drain. I briefly spot a Fox.

As I cross Beverley Road I spot a falcon overhead. First I think it is a Peregrine, but when I check the photos it is obvious it has a light build and proportionally longer tail: A Kestrel. A Sparrowhawk has a few goes at it.

No comments: