Monday 21 November 2022

A walk by the River Hull in November


The first frost of the year, it was misty early morning, especially over the drain and the river. I made my way to Oak Road Lake via Beverley Road. I remembered that the last time I walked by the river in September I did a bush-cricket survey. The season has definitely turned: today the sun shone amongst the light cloud early on, then only the light clouds persisted, increasing the wintry feel.

The Beverley and Barmston drain looked particularly atmospheric.

Oak Road Lake.
A Grey Heron sits on the raft. I think it's my first one at Oak Road.
The female Mute Swan, on her own after the cob and all three cygnets perished, most likely due to bird flu, a local reported to me.
The body of one of the cygnets floats on the shore. The wardens were apparently unable to retrieve the body.
Tufted Duck and Mallard.
I watch two particularly large vegetation rafts floating downstream in the river.



Two Reed Buntings feed on Rosebay Willowherb seeds on the path to Ennerdale Leisure centre.



Two Buzzards rest near each other at the cycle track.
Shovelers and Teal at Kingswood reservoir.
Drake Teal.
A distant Pheasant.
The field south of Reich Carter way, with three ponies grazing.
Great Tit.

2 comments:

Ralph Hancock said...

We have a sad widowed swan in Kensington Gardens after her mate died of bird flu. They were the dominant pair on the Long Water and she is still grimly holding on to her territory by herself. This can't last, but you have to admire her.

Africa Gomez said...

This is the second time this female swan has been widowed, the first time she went to a nearby reservoir also by the river and brought a male with her, which accepted the grown cygnets, a local told me the story. I hope she finds a mate and returns, this morning there were no swans in the lake, too icy.