Tuesday 29 November 2022

A November Redshank count in the River Hull

It was coincidentally high tide when I got to Wilmington bridge this morning, and although I didn't set to do a high roost Redshank count, I ended up doing it. I count the Redshank roost in Hull old town monthly as part of the Wetland Bird Survey, which was 21 individuals earlier in the month, but the River Hull upstream is not counted. I had planned a walk upstream on the East bank of the river, by the Wilberforce Way.

Nine Redshank at their high tide roost near Wilmington Bridge.

The roost near Cargill is split with two groups of three birds each, one these and the other on the top shot. I took no photos of the roost north of Stoneferry Bridges as the three birds were flushed from the river flood wall.

A Common Gull take off from its industrial unit roof roost.
Black-headed Gulls at roost.
The river Hull by Oak Road lake, no Redshanks north of this stretch.

Blackthorn berries, aka sloes, plentiful in the bushes.
Rabbit near Ennerdale Leisure centre.
I returned via Green Lane. The Mistletoe is looking good.
A large clump of Mistletoe on a poplar at Oak Road Playing fields.
Redwing high on a poplar with a Woodpigeon.
The widow Mute Swan at Oak Road came to see if I had any food.
It took me a while to process what bird was this! A Little Grebe out of the water at Oak Road Lake.
Two Reed Buntings were feeding on the reedbeds on Oak Road Lake.

2 comments:

Ralph Hancock said...

Surprised to see Redshank in such an urban setting. Also remarkable that those Reed Warblers are still here.

Africa Gomez said...

Hi Ralph, Reed Buntings, sorry about mistake. These Redshanks are now a feature of the urban river Hull and the reason the lower River Hull is now a Wetland Bird Survey site.